The significance of the Bankers Lofts building starts with its prime location at the corner of 9th Street and Washington Avenue in Downtown St.
Louis. Washington Avenue was a prime corridor for the transport of raw materials and manufactured goods, with a rail line running down the middle
of the street.
Like other buildings of the period, 901 Washington was built to service this rail corridor.
Edward Mallinckrodt, a prominent businessman, commissioned the 7-story building for use as a dry-goods retail store and warehouse. Architects
Shepley, Rutan and Coolidge were known for the Stanford
University campus and the
Chicago Public Library. Construction was completed in 1892 for an estimated $220,000.
In 1940, the Industrial Bank of St. Louis converted the first
floor of the building to a banking hall, beginning a period of several decades during which the building was used by various banks. In 1951,
were taken over by the Bank of St. Louis.
In June 2003, the historic structure was acquired for renovation and conversion into
residential loft condominiums. A new chapter in the building's history has begun as new loft residents now call this classic building home.
Washington Avenue & Post Office Square
New residents of Bankers Lofts find themselves within the Washington Avenue corridor and Post Office Square, two Downtown districts which
enjoying booming construction and renovation
activity. New residential loft conversion projects seem to be underway on every block. Appealing independent restaurants are opening and drawing
loyal patrons from around the St. Louis region. Upscale retail has appeared offering furniture, apparel, and accessories. And of course the
essentials are in place - a gourmet grocery store and deli, dry cleaners, several workout clubs, banks, and a copying store, among others.
We Lost our good friend, Cary Hammond of Hammond & Shinners law firm too soon.